August 18, 2017

#bookreview and #characterinterview on Archaeolibrarian - I Dig Good Books!

Archaeolibrarian - I Dig Good Books! read and provided an honest review of A Vampire's Tale as part of my Goddess Fish Promotions virtual book tour.


"A Vampire's Tale initially reminded me of An Interview with a Vampire as the premise was similar... as the story starts it is plain to see that this is a completely different story. This book was well written... It is a different take on the vampire / virgin story, so I would recommend it for anyone wanting something that differs from the norm."


The best laid plans…

Marisa Clements was never satisfied writing the ‘gossip column’ in the local paper and she quit her job to follow her dream of writing fiction. Floundering in an unforgiving industry, she wrote about vampires, a popular subject she considered fascinating but as real as unicorns, to pay the rent.

Corgan was tired of human misconceptions about vampires and ‘living’ as a vampire. He planned to tell Marisa his story and end his existence. It was no coincidence Corgan selected Marisa to write his story. With the ability to see the future, he knew she would be a major part of it. He knew if they met, she would help him die, but in doing so, she’d be doomed to the same fate. Once they met, their futures would be irrevocably intertwined.

Corgan began to care for Marisa and finally revealed the truth to her. He admitted his quest to atone for his past sins had put her in grave danger from a nest of revenge seeking vampires. Corgan must claim her for her own protection. But claiming her is not enough, he must ask for help from his wizard friends and his maker in order to destroy his enemy or Marisa will never be safe.


For the full review see  Archaeolibrarian - I Dig Good Books!


I also provided a character interview with Kurtis - a dutiful grandson and apprentice wizard in his grandfather’s circle.


What are you keeping a secret?

Following in my grandfather’s footsteps to become a wizard is my destiny, but I don’t want to live this life. It’s not my choice, yet I don’t want to disappoint my grandfather like my father did. So, I continue my work as an apprentice and say nothing.

What are you lying to yourself about? To others?

<<snort>> Lies? I’m living a complete lie. I love Waldor - my grandfather – I do. He raised me. My father took off – I don’t exactly remember when – I might have been three. One morning I woke up – I heard a noise – it was my father standing by the front door, but I only remember a hazy shadow holding a large duffel bag. I stood at the top of the stairs. He waved at me. I waved back. He left and I never saw him again. Waldor tells me my father loves me. I find that hard to believe. If he actually loved me, he wouldn’t have abandoned me. Like my mother. She died, though, shortly after I was born so she didn’t voluntarily leave me. Like everyone I have ever cared about. Except Waldor. And even he keeps the truth from me. Why my father left. If he knows where he went. Anything but “your father loves you” or “your father would be so proud of you.” The truth is I’m an orphan and I’m old enough to handle the truth.

Is there anyone in your life that you are attracted to?

Yup. It doesn’t matter though. Wizards lead a solitary life. And, as an apprentice, I’m forbidden from even speaking to, or in the presence of, women.

What scares you about this person?

Everything. She’s everything I’m not. Vibrant. Dynamic. Witty. Lethal. Undead. And she treats me with nothing but distain. She goes out of her way to taunt me. Like a cat would toy with a mouse. And I can’t say anything to her. I stand there stoically while she circles around me, predatorily, examining me closely to see if she can make me talk. And smirks when I don’t. I am so tense, I remain that way, muscles fused and catatonic, until I no longer smell her bittersweet perfume lingering in the air. She scares me, if she knew how I felt, she would have the ultimate power to hurt me. Even not being together hurts me.

When you walk into a room what do you notice first? Second?

I scan the room, check for hostiles, and take note of all exits. I never walk into a room without an exit strategy. The Circle has many enemies. Our alliance with Corgan, and other vampires, makes us unpopular. Most circles distrust vampires.

What are your goals in life?

Goals? I’ve never had any goals beyond following in Waldor’s footsteps, becoming a wizard and joining The Circle. My life path was pre-determined the moment my father’s departure broke Waldor’s heart. I want to make my grandfather, and The Circle, proud and compensate for my father’s betrayal. So, my goals in life are not really for me, but to please others, namely Waldor.

What are you most afraid of?

I’m afraid to hope. There is futility in dreaming of what cannot be. I must accept facts. Love is not in the cards for me. I am to become a wizard. I must release dreams of a life other than The Circle. Yet I’m afraid to live that life, filled with unknowns. The Circle is all I’ve known. Sometimes the familiar is a better, less risky, alternative.

What do you like best about yourself?

I’m a good guy. I contribute to The Circle, I’ve been a quick learner. My apprenticeship will soon be over and I’ll be given a choice of accepting my place or leaving The Circle. There is no choice, I will do the right thing and assume my role.

What do you like least about yourself?

The very things I admire about myself, I also dislike. How can I so easily sentence myself to a solitary life as a wizard? The Circle, best described as a group of old men, is no substitute for love. How can I deny myself the opportunity to tell Dee how I feel about her? Why can’t I tell Waldor that I want to leave? I accept my fate as if avoiding disappointment is more important than finding happiness. I am essentially alone, an orphan in this world, and I long for connection, companionship, and I’m a coward, too frightened to try.

If you could change anything about your life what would it be?

I would arm myself with courage.

Have a candid conversation with Waldor. In an ideal world, he’d understand my desire to leave The Circle. During his transitional period, his “coming of age,” he went out into the world and sowed his oats, you might say, before he made his choice. My father, too, experienced life outside The Circle, but, when it came time to make his choice, he did not chose to become a wizard.

My wish to leave is independent of my feelings for Dee. I don’t feel like this is where I belong. I can concoct a potion or cast incantations, but mechanical ability is not a strong enough reason to select a vocation. I want to heed my calling – whatever it is – and become who I am meant to be.

If I could change anything in my life, I would become courageous, fearless, sure.


No comments:

Post a Comment