August 4, 2017

#authorinterview on Two Ends of the Pen

I really enjoy giving author interviews. So much of my writing is, intentionally or not, personal and reflective of my own life and experiences so I think that if readers find me interesting, then they may also enjoy my books. In fact, a friend told me a few months ago that she could actually hear my voice when she read A Vampire's Tale.

This author interview was originally posted as part of my Goddess Fish Promotions virtual book tour on Two Ends of the Pen.


Can you give us a brief overview of your latest book? Is it part of a series?

A Vampire’s Tale is a standalone, paranormal romance novel. My heroine, Marisa Clements, is a paranormal skeptic who writes vampire stories. She doesn’t believe in vampires… until she meets one. The vampire in question is my hero, Corgan Halton, whose supernatural talents range from clairvoyance to telekinesis. His ability to see the future, and Marisa’s role in it, lead him to seeking her out in order to accomplish his goal. He wants to tell his story and end his unnatural existence. Involving Marisa, though, puts her in a danger so grave that he alone cannot protect her. He enlists help from his maker and their wizard friends to keep Marisa safe.

Did you try the traditional route to publishing, i.e. querying agents/publishers?

Yes, absolutely, I have published two books using traditional publishers. As a novice author, I never considered self-publishing. The support and guidance of a publishing house appealed to me.

For my first book, Dream Hunter, I researched which publishers were accepting unsolicited queries and their submission requirements. Then I sent query letters to the ones I deemed a good fit. My third query letter resulted in a contract offer.

For A Vampire’s Tale, my second book, I initially followed the same process of researching and sending query letters. Social media offered me alternative routes to gain access to publishers. I participated in pitch parties on Facebook and Twitter. A June 2016 #PitMad tweet caught the attention of Tirgearr Publishing. They “favorited” my tweet, meaning they were interested in my work.

If you used a graphic designer/publisher’s designer, how involved were you during the creative process for your cover?

The book covers for both my books were created by publisher’s designers. I had significant input into both, though, by providing the designer with a comprehensive amount of details about the book and its characters. I also noted covers I liked, ideas I had, and specific things I didn’t want included. The designer took this information and created the cover art. Then the publisher provided draft book covers for my comment.

Do you belong to a critique group? Have they helped improve your writing?

In 2010, I “met” an online group of budding authors. The group’s name is UCW (Up and Coming Writers) and we connect via a private Facebook group and email. Many members live in the UK and they have real meet-ups as well. We are an eclectic bunch, writing in a number of genres, and many of us have published work. I think belonging to a writing group, UCW is more than a critique group, is great for support. We’ve all been there – rejection letters, horrible reviews, editing headaches – so whatever we need – encouragement for our life or our craft – a friend is just a post/email away. And we also critique/promote each other’s work. Their feedback is invaluable and has definitely helped improve my work.

Do you outline your story or just go where your muse takes you?

I would be the first to confess I don’t write using an outline. Although, I do keep some semi-unorganized notes to keep me on track. Details like eye color and characteristics, and spelling and formatting choices need to be consistent throughout. I guess you could say I follow my muse, but leave bread crumbs along the way so I can make it home safely.

Did you hire an editor to review your manuscript before publishing?

I rely on my writing group and their eagle eyes to spot any glaring errors before I send out query requests. We use the track-changes function in Word to suggest changes and make comments. As avid readers and experienced authors, we have a unique perspective to share with each other.

Besides Amazon, are there any other sites where your books are for sale?

My first book Dream Hunter is also sold on Just Ink Press’ website and Barnes & Noble.

My second book A Vampire’s Tale is also available through Smashwords, Apple, Kobo, and Barnes & Noble.

What kinds of marketing [twitter, facebook, blog, forums] are you involved with for promoting your book(s)?

Finally, my business degree is coming in handy! <<laughs>> Marketing and promotion are two different, but related, processes. Marketing covers price, product, place, and promotion. Promotion, part of marketing, covers the modes of communication used to create awareness and provide information about the product.

My author website is my platform and includes information about me, my books, and current events.

I track my promotional activities, including review requests, social media interactions, and promotion requests, in a spreadsheet. As a new author, obtaining reviews is especially important. I have sent out nearly 300 review requests for A Vampire’s Tale, resulting in 3 completed reviews and over 30 pending reviews (as of mid-March). I target book reviewers and bloggers interested in paranormal romance and send personalized review requests. Blogging is a great way to promote new content, I also visit other blogs for book spotlights, author interviews and guest posts. An organized Facebook or Twitter party or a virtual book tour is an effective way to release a new title. I have a virtual book tour with Goddess Fish Promotions running from March 22 to May 10 visiting several amazing blogs, including this one. Regular posts and interactions on social media, especially promoting other authors and new, relevant content, is another great tool. There are many companies which offer promotional services, but I research my options, for best value and potential results, before I make a purchase. Whatever your approach, be consistent and mindful.

Besides writing, do you have any other passions?

Reading… <<goofy grin>> With the advent of the ebook, I can bring, literally, hundreds of books with me at all times on my phone. I still read a print book, there’s nothing like the feel or smell of a book in your hands, but ebooks are so convenient… and light to travel with. I also enjoy music – going to rock concerts and musical theatre. I love to sing and I play the piano, although not often. Other passions include Disney, coffee, and eating but not cooking. My husband, the absolute love of my life, is the cook in our house and, thankfully, his meals are a crowd-pleaser for our particular children.

What’s next for you?

Dynamic dedication to completing my next novel… perhaps a sequel to A Vampire’s Tale… and living life to the fullest with my husband and two young sons!

2 comments:

  1. Very informative. Thanks Maya. My journey is not as extensive, but can identify with the difficulties of finding a publisher. The completion of that final manuscript. Writing groups and critiques for chapters from your novel are invaluable. The publishing area is a complex speciality apart from writing a novel. Your musings cover a wide range of skill application needed toward successful publication and promotion of a novel. Thanks for sharing-Colin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting, Colin! I'm so glad you've found my musings interesting. Stay tuned for a post on SEO this fall...

    ReplyDelete